Monday, August 24, 2009

Feeling Homesick

One of the things I miss about Philly is the ability to get soft pretzels easily. It's silly, because I didn't eat them that often. There's a chain called The Philly Soft Pretzel Factory that makes giant twist soft pretzels. And in different flavors, like bagels. I love the "everything" That and a cup of soup made for a perfect lunch.

Shortly after moving here, I got a craving for soft pretzels. Having never made a yeast recipe, I scoured the internets for the perfect one, and came upon Alton Brown's. LPR will say I chose this recipe because I have a crush on Mr. Brown. I argue that this recipe had the best reviews.


It wasn't as difficult as I expected, but then, this is what I ended up with:

Once baked, they tasted fine, but still looked funny. In my expert opinion, I would say that they needed more flour, which probably would have made the dough waaaay less sticky and easier to shape. They weren't quite dense enough, which probably would have been corrected with more flour as well.

I will probably try again, but not until it cools down. Did I mention we don't have AC?

1 comment:

  1. Pay no attention to LPR. I also have a crush on Alton Brown. How could we not? He know how to cook a great meal and he can give you the history of the food you're eating. I love your blog!
    ~Regina

    ReplyDelete